Chile Mobility Pass Start to Finish
Updated November 18, 2021
Resource link, “Protected Borders Plan DEC 1”.
This week Chile announced yet more reductions in travel restrictions for travelers commencing December 1, 2021. This blog is a series of updates outlining both government travel requirements and a collection of travel experiences from our guests.
Chile Ministry of Health (Ministerio de Salud) November 15 Announcement
TESTING AND ISOLATION
1) They should not perform isolation or an examination for the detection of coronavirus (PCR or antigen) when entering the country who have a booster dose applied in the last 6 months prior to travel and that is registered in their Pass Mobility.
2) Those who have their Mobility Pass, but do not have their booster dose , must be tested at the point of entry and perform isolation until their result (if they have a connection to another city in the country, they will be able to continue their trip to their destination and wait for the PCR result at declared destination).
3) All those people who do not have their vaccines validated (non-resident foreigners who enter with an exceptional requirement considered by Decree 102 ) , regardless of their nationality, must be tested and isolated . The quarantine extends for five days even if the result of the test for detection of coronavirus is negative.
Breaking Down the Aforementioned Three Points
1) This is a huge improvement for international travelers and the announcement all in the Chile travel industry have been hoping to read. This means those with a mobility pass and “booster” (we can only assume that means vaccines too) can (post DEC 1, 2021) travel direct to their Chile destination without the requirement of quarantine or PCR test results.
2) This too is great news and a huge travel improvement over the previous restrictions. Even if you don’t have you your “booster” you will receive your PCR test and isolate until results. The big improvement is allowance for connection to destination city without quarantine previously in Santiago. Every traveler we have spoken to has received their Santiago arrival PCR results in approximately 9 to 12 hours.
David Hughes Mobility Pass Directions from Oct 19 Travel
Updated October 19, 2021 post my (David Hughes) Raleigh Durham, NC flight to Santiago Chile. This is an account of Chile’s mobility pass from start to finish. The steps to secure the mobility pass appear to be the new international travel standard. Once documents are secure the Chile entrance systems are efficient and streamline.
OCT 1 Travel Changes. Chile announces on October 1 foreigners may enter Chile with mobility pass, travel affidavit, 5-day quarantine, and no public transport to quarantine location (you can arrange private transport);
NOV 1 Travel Changes. Chile announces on November 1 foreigners may replace the 5-day quarantine with negative PCR results taken within Chile. In other words, until you receive negative PCR results you will either be en route to quarantine or in quarantine. My October 15 arrival observed that international travelers were given a PCR test upon arrival. PCR results arrived approximately 9 hours later to the personal data mobility pass online system. Meaning, had this been post NOV 1 I’d be free to travel now (OCT 20) due to my negative PCR results. There are also private PCR test locations at the airport Holiday Inn advertising PCR results in four hours or less. It appears, but not confirmed, Chile is invested to PCR test all international arrivals and expedite results to both protect covid borders and permit for safe travel expediency.
OCT 20 Update. Chile government not only checked on my quarantine status they gave me a followup PCR test right at the retreat.
Chile Entrance Requirements
Travelers visiting Chile will require two online forms to enter: The Mobility Pass and the Travel Affidavit. Get these two requirements right and you will be freely traveling in Chile upon your arrival. For better explanation read, Chile Government Travel Directions Resource.
Step 1. Complete the Chile Mobility Pass, or https://chile.gob.cl/chile/en/ingreso-a-chile-desde-el-exterior.
Mobility Pass Requirements. proof of vaccination, passport, contact and travel data.
Mobility Pass Status. You will receive an immediate confirmation email. It took 16 days before Chile sent an email confirming my Temporary Mobility Pass. I printed this email for my documents, but they should have you in the system. Once the 5-day quarantine or negative PCR results are fulfilled you are free to travel with updated mobility pass.
TIPs. Give yourself at least 3 weeks in advance of your flight date to apply for the Mobility Pass. I’ve heard of one international traveler that did not get their mobility pass prior to traveling to Chile. Chile sent them back to US. You are not allowed to apply for the mobility pass more than 45 days in advance of travel. I recommend 30 to 45 days even though I applied with only 24 days advance.
System Bugs. The system has a few bugs. For example, for where I got my vaccine I had to type in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA as the scroll down option would not work. United States may be listed as USA, Estados Unidos, United States or any variation and located randomly in the list of countries. Also, calendars seem to hae bugs. I had to type in date of vaccine as day-month-year or 29-07-2021 as calendar selection did not work. Process should have taken three minutes, but took about fifteen with the bugs.
Step 2. Complete the “Affidavit of Travelers” at www.c19.cl.
The travel affidavit uploads more documents into your connected online mobility pass. Affidavit of Travelers should be completed within 72 hours of your actual flight.
- Negative PCR test within 72 hours of boarding. I got my Walgreens PCR test 70 hours prior to flight to give more time for results. Results received within 24 hours, and appear to be much faster than last year;
- Travel Medical Insurance with minimum $30,000 of covid aka medical coverage. Make certain your plan states “covid” and associated coverage more than $30,000. Recommend adding trip cancellation and lost, stolen or damaged baggage to your insurance policy;
- Upload passport and contact info;
- Declared Domicile for 5-Day Quarantine or negative PCR results. Once you secure either your quarantine or negative PCR results (post NOV 1) your tempory mobility pass will change to permit (free to travel) status.
Upon completing the travel affidavit you will receive an email with a colored QR code. This is your ticket into Chile and the trackable link to your personal online Mobility Pass file. I took a photo and kept a copy of the email and QR code with my important docs: PCR results and proof of covid insurance. Which are now accessible via the QR code.
Airline Check In
I checked in with Delta Airlines where Delta checked for proof of covid travel insurance negative PCR test, and travel afidavit. Flights were less than half full. All good so far.
Like always follow the lines. Chile starts with a solid covid defense system.
Moility Pass Check Station. There were possibly a hundred covid check stations and the process moved fast. Present your documents: QR code email (pase movilidad), covid insurance, passport, stay data and PCR results. They have all of your documents online and quickly scan your QR code. Then they match or even update any changes. For example, my Chilean insurance did not pass so I had to purchase insurance online. Then they updated my records right there. They were very helpful. You wireceive an exit card and depar for the next line.
PCR Test Stations. Next your mobility pass ID (USA+passport#) signs you up for a PCR test to be recorded to your mobility pass. My negative PCR results arrived approximately 9 hours later.
Chile Customs. Customs were as normal with questions such as location, reason for travel… and finally my passport stamp.
Now Offering Remote Work & Kayaker Stays Solutions with fiber optics internet.
[email protected] or call +1-828-788-5135 to learn more.
Following section was written in September prior to NOV 1 changes.
What about those cheap Chile airfares?
It’s true. Airfares appear to be low-cost. A quick Raleigh to Santiago flight search proved to be around $750 round trip and $450 one-way. Here are a few helpful tips.
- Temuco (ZCO) or Santiago (SCL)? Often, you can save your airfare rates by buying two separate tickets SCL and ZCO. Keep in mind if you separate the airfares you will have to check in a second time upon arriving to Santiago and that may cost extra in second flight baggage fees.
- Avoid Santiago numbers. We recommend flying direct to Temuco and arranging transport to Pucon.
Feel free to email or call anytime. We are here to help.
[email protected] or +1-828-788-5135
Article by David Hughes. September 21, 2021.
Resourceful Chile Whitewater Kayaking Blogs
Easy Chile Whitewater Rivers Lakes & Hotsprings
Easy Chile Rivers & Lakes is designed for the recreational kayaker or wannabe whitewater kayaker seeking to learn the roll, explore and play in the lakes or rivers. The Lakes District is a Chile phenomenon of Andean precipitation gathering and flowing in a series of lakes and lagunas en route to the Pacific.
Intermediate Chile Whitewater Rivers
Chile’s best whitewater rivers for intermediate kayakers with development features including eddy lines, safe rapids, combat rolls, wave trains, and eddy hopping. Great to safely progress and challenge your kayak skills as you learn.
Advanced Chile Whitewater Rivers
Chile’s advanced whitewater rivers are for experienced rivers runners with a solid combat roll. The variety of beautiful rivers are packed full of quality features to challenge and improve your skills. Rivers include big water blue rapids, low volume creeking, canyon sections, and even safe clean waterfalls.
Expert Chile Whitewater Rivers
Expert Chile whitewater rivers are for hard core kayakers seeking quality creeking, waterfalls, spouts, stout, and to be challenged on rapid rich sections. Whether you want canyons with glorious waterfalls, big volume rapids, or even to notch a clean 50 footer we’ve got an option.